Day Trip: Peak Cavern by Caleb

29/09/18

I had never intended to go caving, but nonetheless, on one otherwise - pleasant day in September, that's exactly what I found myself doing. Having signed away our souls and £20 to the Speleology Society, my fellow "Freshers" and I (we do have names) had little choice but to go along with whatever the club had planned for us. Since Todd was in charge, and having heard a rather worrying tale about him, I viewed this with some trepidation.

The trip was much more enjoyable than expected. It began with a slide, which I probably enjoyed more than an adult should, and we then proceeded to a rather roomy, if a little wet, cave. The bodies of water through which we waded resulted in some cold feet (get in?) and not everybody wanted to swim when the water got a little deeper. Now quite wet despite the oversuits, we should all have been miserable, but it seemed only to add to the experience.

Squeezing was initially limited to a narrow crack in the floor which allowed us to view a hidden pool, but later we crawled (and wriggled, in places) a fair distance in some rather muddy tunnels. This was probably the high point of the trip for me, although the hot soup lovingly prepared by Alex's fair hand came a close second.

Overall, I would certainly recommend caving to anybody who isn't claustrophobic, or bothered by mud, or water, or the cold, or ABBA.

- Caleb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notts 2

Mallorca Trip - 16th-30th April 2011 - Part 1

Alum Pot SRT Training/Photography Trip