Notts 2

09/07/20, Caleb, Lisa and Todd

After almost three months, which is, in my opinion, far too long to be stuck in the hell of the surface world, Lisa, Caleb and I decided it was tie to return to our spiritual home of the dark wet underground. Given circumstances, we decided Notts 2 would be the best bet, and decided to meet on a Wednesday. I arrived early, having dropped my dad off to go for a long walk, and headed up to Leck fell to wait for the other two. Eventually they arrived, and we quickly got changed, eager to go caving. I was the first down the entrance climb, followed by Caleb. I was like a child again, far too excited to be there. We wormed our way through the entrance series to the streamway, finding it slightly high, but nothing to worry about. We decided downstream was our best first bet, and headed on, stopping to say how glad we were that we had cancelled the trip a week earlier. The flood debris was quite high on the walls. We made our way down the short climb into the final chamber (though I was later told the pitch going up this is a sump bypass, and notts 3 can be reached, worth a visit), and I laughed at Caleb getting very wet. the laughter didn't last long, cause I ended up under the waterfall on the way back up. We set a leisurely pace going upstream, and soon made it to the wider passage. I climbed up, and poured water on Caleb, before realising I couldn’t get far at the high level, so I had to go back. After catching up with them, we made it to Curry inlet. Now the fun of the trip began. We got to the end of the pretty bit, when Lisa and Caleb told me this wasn’t Curry inlet. I told them it was, and they told me that Curry inlet was very wet, practically swimming. This floored me, because the only swimming I knew of in Notts 2 is the upstream passage. We were going there next, and argued all the way about whether or not Curry inlet was Curry inlet. The water was high, and felt colder than usual. We waded onward, the water getting higher and higher, until we reached one corner, where it was practically up to our necks. Lisa kicked me into it and I swore at her. We made it to the upstream sump, where Lisa went for a swim. After that, we headed back towards inlet 5, still arguing about Curry inlet. We only got to the start of the muddy part of inlet 5, looked at the helictites Alex always says look like pubes. The three of us finally agreed on something, saying that Alex has seen some weird pubes, and turned around to head back to the entrance. The slow ascent before the entrance climb made us realise we were a bit unfit from doing nothing for three months, and the final climb took longer than usual. We were glad we picked an easy trip. Back at the car we got changed and looked at the guide book. I discovered that Curry inlet was in fact Curry inlet, though Lisa still thinks I’m wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallorca Trip - 16th-30th April 2011 - Part 1

Alum Pot SRT Training/Photography Trip